Members of the Mental Health Review Committee (MHRC)
Marla Love is senior associate dean of students in the Office of the Dean of Students, Student and Campus Life where she oversees the LGBT, Asian and Asian American, and Women’s Resource Centers, First-Generation and Low-Income, Undocumented and DACA student support, Student Development Diversity Initiatives, and the Office of Spirituality and Meaning-Making. She also co-chairs the Bias Assessment and Review Team. Marla has worked in student affairs for 15 years at various institutions across the country including Scripps College and Phillips (Andover) Academy, most recently serving as the director of Graduate and Professional Student Affairs at Azusa Pacific University. In her various roles, Marla has served as a deputy Title IX coordinator, Dean-on-Call, Behavior Intervention Team member, Mental Health First Aid trainer, sexual assault response team, and advisor to a student peer sexual assault hotline.
Miranda Swanson is associate dean for Student Services in Cornell Engineering where she oversees the offices of undergraduate admissions, advising, engineering learning initiatives, the registrar and the career center. Miranda came to Cornell from the University of Chicago where she spent 16 years working in student affairs, most recently serving as dean of students in the Physical Sciences Division, but prior to that working for 11 years with graduate students in the Humanities Division. At the University of Chicago, Miranda also served as a Dean-on-Call, Sexual Assault Dean-on-Call, and Bias Response Team member.
- Conor Bednarski ‘21, Law School
- Marcus Brooks, Cornell Team and Leadership Center coordinator, Cornell Outdoor Education, Student and Campus Life
- Tanzeem Choudhury, associate professor, Computing and Information Sciences
- Chelsea Kiely ‘20, College of Arts and Sciences
- Reba McCutcheon, associate dean of students, Office of the Dean of Students, Student and Campus Life
- Laurence Minter ‘21, College of Arts and Sciences
- Manisha Munasinghe, graduate student, Computational Biology
- Nana Sarpong ‘20, Dyson School of Applied, Economics, Business and Management
- Dawn Schrader, associate professor, Communications, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Catherine Thrasher-Carroll, mental health promotion program director, Skorton Center for Health Initiatives, Cornell Health, Student and Campus Life
- Rob Thorne, professor, Physics, College of Arts and Sciences
The internal or Mental Health Review Committee (MHRC) is tasked with examining the Cornell campus context, including issues pertaining to the academic and social environment, climate, and culture related to mental health. The MHRC will share its findings with the External Review Team which is charged with a comprehensive review of clinical services and campus-based strategies.
The committees expect to begin preliminary work and research this summer reviewing previous self-studies, external reviews, surveys, and other existing data. In the fall, the MHRC will begin listening tours and focus groups to engage the Cornell community and provide data to the External Review Team which will produce and submit its findings via a final report in spring 2020.